Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
o_ermolaeva

o_ermolaeva

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2006-12-07

When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester? Empty
PostSubject: When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester?   When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 7:35 am

Hello to everybody. I will be very grateful for the sharing with me (and others) your experience in this matter. When is the right time to apply for the forth semester? I think most people of the third generation has the same question.
cheers
Back to top Go down
Anna_me
Admin
Anna_me

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester?   When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 1:10 pm

I have talked a lot about this with Jon Wicks on our way to Newcastle and this is what he said concerning Halcrow.

The company is interested in organized way for managing applications from EuroAquae students, rather then receiving all your CVs in different time and to different people. So, most probably (and I am trying to facilitate this) everybody wishing to do placement in Halcrow will be asked to send his/her CV and covering letter to one responsible person within the company and then all those CV will be evaluated to select the best candidates.

THe last year 17 students applied Halcrow, their CV were collected from different people and Human Resource Department, then one person called Dr Kutija to get reference. After that several people were chosen for phone interview and then one (unfortunately) for placement.
The number of people Halcrow will take depends on the amount of work we have for that period that will be known only one-two months in advance. The candidates are chosen on the basis of their CV/covering letter, performance during the first year of EuroAquae and phone interview.

So, my advice is that you should apply after September, when your marks for the 2nd semester will be known, after good summer rest during which you can spend time to prepare good outstanding CV and covering letter.

Some tips from Jon Wicks about the application (he has to go through dozens of application everyday, so you can absolutely rely on his advices):
1. Show in covering letter why have you chosen Halcrow and why do you want to work particularly in this company.
2. State the work you would like to do in your CV.
3. Do not make grammar mistakes, please - the first thing that will make him to throw your application away.
4. Put as many social and various activities as you can - as most of you do not have much working experience, this will define you as a personality.

So, good luck
Back to top Go down
https://eaaa-forum.forumotion.com
o_ermolaeva

o_ermolaeva

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2006-12-07

PostSubject: Re: When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester?   When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks for very detail and useful advice.
You mentioned that the way of sending the application should be managed and letters should be addressed to one person.
How to define this suitable way? Can we get tips from you and Jon Wicks about it?

cheers
Back to top Go down
Anna_me
Admin
Anna_me

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester?   When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester? EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 10:28 am

You can't really do anything about this. All of you will get email (probably from me) asking to send all your application to the indicated email address.
This process will be done within the company.
But you can still try to apply Halcrow through the http://www.halcrow.com/html/careers/graduates_home.htm. Even normally there are not so many chances to get a placement, it's still can work in some cases.
Back to top Go down
https://eaaa-forum.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester?   When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester? Empty

Back to top Go down

When is the time to apply for the 4-th semester?
Page 1 of 1