Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just been offered a place!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Quinn_C

Just been offered a place! Empty
PostSubject: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Hello,

I am Quinex Chiluwe from Malawi and have been offered a place to study the EuroAqua course Generation 7. I have been offered a partial tuition grant by the Consortium. I will have to pay the remaining part of tuition.

Can someone enlighten me on survival without a full scholarship in this program?

Secondly, I am supposed to start my studies at Cottbus; can someone help me with necessary information on getting accomodation and how I need to get prepared in terms of what to bring, money etc. What is the best time I can start processes of VISA application for my studies?

I look forward to hearing from you people,

Quin_C
Back to top Go down
vikram

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 3:42 am

Quinn_C wrote:
Hello,

I am Quinex Chiluwe from Malawi and have been offered a place to study the EuroAqua course Generation 7.
Hello Quinn and congratulations on being selected to EuroAquae.
Quinn_C wrote:
I have been offered a partial tuition grant by the Consortium. I will have to pay the remaining part of tuition.

Can someone enlighten me on survival without a full scholarship in this program?
First a disclaimer: This method of self-financing the studies is something that has been introduced only this year and us being a separate entity from EuroAquae the knowledge that we have at our disposal may not be complete in every respect or may be outdated by a couple of months.
Having got that out of the way I will try to answer your question to the best of my knowledge. I'm going to assume that – please correct me if I'm wrong – the partial financing of your course is going to come through some other scholarship programme, most likely one being offered by a German institute. If that is indeed the case then the money being offered to you would most likely be enough to survive in Cottbus. The problem might arise when you have to go to Newcastle for the second semester because for any semester that you do outside Germany, you won't get any money from this scholarship, hence the term partial financing because you will have to find money to be able to finance your second semester in the UK.
Quinn_C wrote:
Secondly, I am supposed to start my studies at Cottbus; can someone help me with necessary information on getting accomodation and how I need to get prepared in terms of what to bring, money etc. What is the best time I can start processes of VISA application for my studies?
I'll answer the visa question first: I would recommend that you start with the visa process as soon as possible i.e. as soon as you have all the necessary papers in case of any unforeseen circumstances.
About accommodation: Information about this on the websites is unfortunately just in German. In case you do know German here are the links that you should be looking at:
http://www.studentenwerk-frankfurt.de/start.php?root=cb&datenquelle=cb/soziales/cb_soziales.php&subdir=soziales
http://www.tu-cottbus.de/btu/en/campus-life/wohnen.html
The first link is for the website of Studentenwerk which offers student accommodations in Cottbus. The number of accommodations are quite limited so you should apply as soon as possible. The direct link to the application form is:
http://www.studentenwerk-frankfurt.de/home/downloads/wh_antrag.pdf
Some more information about which accommodation to choose:
There is a flyer with details about the different accommodations on the following link:
http://www.studentenwerk-frankfurt.de/cb/wohnen/downloads/cb_wohnanlagen_flyer.pdf
In this document on the map you can see that the Universitätsstr. and Erich-Weinert-Str. are quite close to the university, Potsdamer-Str. is at a distance of 15-20 minutes walking while Lipezker-Str. is 20-25 minutes by bus. The last one I would recommend against taking unless it is the very last option.
The table on the second page is perhaps interesting to you so I would translate the column headings for you (or anyone who doesn't understand German). From left to right these are:
  • One room apartments
  • Single-bed room (in two to five room apartments)
  • Accessibility for wheelchairs
  • Living area (m2 per person)
  • Monthly rent (€ per person including facilities)
  • Security deposit in €
  • Internet
N.B.
  1. The X symbol indicates availability
  2. Internet connection is provided by a separate company. It ins't activated by default and costs aren't included in the rent. If you want to activate the internet connection you will have to contact the company and will be charged on a monthly basis.

Quinn_C wrote:
I look forward to hearing from you people,

Quin_C
Hopefully that answers your questions satisfactorily. If you have any other questions we will be glad to help you out with those as well.
Back to top Go down
vikram

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 3:54 am

Forgot to add one thing:
I noticed that you've registered on the forum. The policy is that the members of these forums are only EuroAquae students. So sorry but I cannot really approve your registration until you're in Cottbus. Sad
Back to top Go down
David

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 4:55 am

Hello!!

what about this link?

I've tried to contact with Liliana to get this useful guides but with no luck...

I'd like to take a look at it so where can I send the request?

Thanks a lot

And see you in Cottbus!!
Back to top Go down
David

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:02 am

Ups!
Sorry problems with the link..

http://master.euroaquae.eu/alumni/page2182.html
Back to top Go down
vikram

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:13 am

Hi David,
I think that the problem is that you cannot post links without being a member to avoid spam and my problem is that I cannot add you as a member right now. Sad But what I can do and have done is inserted the link for you (and modified your message a bit, which I hope you don't mind)
Anyway, I probably have the documents in question and will try to upload them as soon as possible but it may be some time before you see them because I'm a bit busy today and tomorrow. I'll post a link here on this thread when I'm done.
Back to top Go down
vikram

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 5:38 am

Hi Quinn,
Fresh information for you. I just learnt that there is another form of financial support. If you've been told that you will get help with the tuition fees then that means that all locations except Newcastle will waive their tuition fees. This means that you may only have to pay the fees only in the second semester but will have to come up with the living costs (which are around €600 per month) by yourself at every location. I'll keep you posted in case I get any new information.
Back to top Go down
Quinn_C

PostSubject: Tuition Waiver   Just been offered a place! EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 6:26 am

Hie Vikram

Thanks very much for the new information. Infact that's the way I have been communicated to by the coordinator. I am gonna pay tuition for the second semester only but will have to take care of the living costs.

One other thing I would like to know, what is the mobility like in this programme? Is it like we will be required to be travelling perhaps amidst the semester to another study location using our pocket?

Let me also thank you for the information you gave me about accommodation, I was able to visit the pages and see various options available.

Thanks

Quinex
Back to top Go down
vikram

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 7:28 am

Hi Quinn,
About mobility, this is how things work in EuroAquae:
The first semester is available in all locations and the decision about who goes where is made by the board.
The second semester is only in Newcastle so it's really simple because you already know where you'll be doing the next semester.
Around May every year there is a meeting in Newcastle where students appear in front of the board and express where they would like to go for the 3rd semester and why. According to their wishes, their reasons and available seats in a location they are distributed among the four locations (no 3rd semester in Newcastle) by the board.
The fourth semester is in a company or a university for professional practice or master's thesis for which you have to apply to the institutes yourself.
There's no moving between locations in the middle of the semester but you will be going from Cottbus to Newcastle for the second semester and from there to another location for the third semester. You'll have to pay for the travel yourself but if you are lucky then you can manage to get cheap tickets within Europe, which is quite common.

Another tip for people coming to Cottbus for 1st semester. You will probably be given instructions as to how to apply for accommodation by the local coordinator of EuroAqaue. If you follow those instructions and apply through them maybe it will be easier for both the applicants and the coordinator.
Back to top Go down
Avinash

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 12:58 am

Hi,

I'm Avinash from India....... I've been selected to take part in EuroAqua course Generation 7.....
Js recieved my papers.......
Will be starting at Cottbus.......
hope to see you all soon.......

Back to top Go down
Monica M

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Hello everybody!

I just found this web! Surprised
I will start in Cottbus too!!! It looks like a lot of people will start there!
I'm from Spain, maybe the only European I have seen in the emails and here for this generation...
See you there soon! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
David

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 3:33 am

Hallo Monica!

I'm David, also Spanish and also with Cottbus as hosting University Razz
How is being your bureaucratic preocess?

Here is my e-mail if you want to exchange survival information: david(dot)ferras(at)gmail(dot)com

See you and gutten tag!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just been offered a place!   Just been offered a place! Empty

Back to top Go down

Just been offered a place!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Prospective EuroAquae Students and Guests :: Questions about EuroAquae-
Jump to: